By Gopinath Pillai,K Kesavapany
From Tamils to Malayalees, from Bengalis to Punjabis, the various Indian group in Singapore has performed a wide half in construction the rustic. to appreciate the Indian neighborhood, one needs to recognize yes easy proof approximately them.
First is their love for tradition which transcends non secular and linguistic variations. the superior classical Hindustani singers are Muslims. the easiest Malayalam singer of Hindu non secular songs is a Christian.
Second is their love of debates. Argument is a part of Indian culture as a result of the trust that fact can simply be arrived at lively debate.
The 3rd attribute is the community's admire for schooling. Indians, throughout castes and religions have continuously commemorated wisdom and studying as being a cost in itself.
The fourth attribute of the Indians is their devoutness: they take their spiritual tasks heavily and practice them regularly.
This celebratory quantity highlights the development, contributions and demanding situations of the neighborhood for the prior 50 years seeing that Singapore's independence in 1965.
- Foreword (S R Nathan)
- A position within the solar (Gopinath Pillai)
- Indians within the Modelling of the worldwide city (Rajesh Rai)
- Singapore's Indian historical past Centre: Curating and Negotiating history, variety and id (Gauri Parimoo Krishnan)
- Little India: 50 Years of Being and Doing 'Indian' in Singapore (Nirmala Srirekam Puru Shotam)
- Indian Contribution to visible and acting Arts in Singapore(Jaya Mohideen)
- Fifty Years of Singapore Tamil Literature (A Mani)
- 'Rising from the Ashes': the advance of Hindi in self sufficient Singapore (Rajesh Rai)
- Indian Writing in English (Meira Chand)
- Indian Political Participation in Singapore (Asad Latif)
- The Indian Contribution to Singapore's monetary improvement (Manu Bhaskaran)
- Less Remembered areas and Interactions in a altering Singapore: Indian company groups within the Post-independence interval (Jayati Bhattacharya)
- Newly Arrived Indian execs — Contributing to a Globalising Singapore (Girija Pande)
- To Singapore with Love... (Uma Rajan)
- Pakistanis in Singapore (Sajjad Ashraf)
- The historical past of Parsis in Singapore (Pesi B Chacha)
- The Singapore Indian neighborhood in the direction of SG100 (K Kesavapany & Asad Latif)
Read Online or Download 50 YEARS OF INDIAN COMMUNITY IN SINGAPORE (World Scientific Series on Singapore's 50 Years of Nation-Building) PDF
Best asian history books
As soon as regarded as a 'vanishing people', the Ainu at the moment are reasserting either their tradition and their claims to be the 'indigenous' humans of Japan. Race, Resistance and the Ainu of Japan is the 1st significant learn to track the outlines of Ainu historical past. It explores the ways that competing models of Ainu identification were built and articulated, laying off mild at the method glossy relatives among the Ainu and the japanese were formed.
The 1st paintings to chronicle the historical past of Vietnam starting within the mythical past—a reminiscence that's so major to the Vietnamese identification and trust process. Written by means of a local, this background portrays the Sino-Viet interdependence that lasted for 1,000 years and had such a power on Vietnamese tradition.
First released in 2004. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
Thisbook examines the hazards and the styles of version that emerge throughexposure to danger every day. via addressing the impact of environmental components in Indian OceanWorld heritage, the gathering reaches around the limitations of the traditional andsocial sciences, offering case-studies that care for a various diversity ofnatural dangers – hearth in Madagascar, drought in India, cyclones and typhoons inOman, Australia and the Philippines, climatic variability, storms and flood inVietnam and the Philippines, and volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and tsunamisin Indonesia.
- Red Star Over Malaya
- A Concise History of Modern Korea: From the Late Nineteenth Century to the Present: Volume 2
- The Construction of History and Nationalism in India: Textbooks, Controversies and Politics (Routledge Advances in South Asian Studies)
- Tibet in Agony
- Tet Offensive 1968: Turning point in Vietnam (Campaign)
- The India-Pakistan Conflict: An Enduring Rivalry
Extra info for 50 YEARS OF INDIAN COMMUNITY IN SINGAPORE (World Scientific Series on Singapore's 50 Years of Nation-Building)
50 YEARS OF INDIAN COMMUNITY IN SINGAPORE (World Scientific Series on Singapore's 50 Years of Nation-Building) by Gopinath Pillai,K Kesavapany